tty console not working after upgrade

jlar310

Renowned Member
Jun 27, 2007
PVE 8.2.7

I ran do-release-upgrade on a ubuntu 22.04 container to upgrade it to 24.04 and now the console no longer works. The container boots and runs fine but the console window in the Proxmox web UI is just blank. Pressing enter does not do anything. I can not type any characters. Been searching all morning but the only answer I find is one related to ipv6 and DHCP which is not my situation.

pct config
Code:
arch: amd64
cpulimit: 1
cpuunits: 1024
hostname: test
memory: 1024
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=192.168.99.1,hwaddr=FE:EE:3F:82:1B:94,ip=192.168.99.49/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-149-disk-1,size=24G
swap: 1024

Things I have tried:
- changed console option to /dev/console -- this gives output from boot messages, but no login prompt
- changed console option to shell - this also works but gives you a pre-logged-in shell already as root. Not really what I want, but I may have to live with it.

How can I restore the default TTY behavior of getting a login prompt in the console window?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!