Trying to turn off HPET for VM

smirk

Jul 25, 2024
Hi

I am running OpenVMS in a KVM machine on proxmox (well I was), granted it's not a supported option but I can do it ;-). To get OpenVMS running inside Proxmox you need to turn off HPET otherwise it simply hangs during boot up.

The workaround, had been to add the line:
args: -no-hpet

into the appropriate virtual machine's CFG file. Since a relatively recent update to proxmox, sadly I cannot remember when exactly but I'm currently on 8.2.4, this workaround fails and all I now get when trying to start the virtual machine is the error:

Code:
kvm: -no-hpet: invalid option
start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

My google-fu has completed failed me and I cannot find what the alternatively arguments/options for KVM would now be,

I appreciate there will not be many people running OpenVMS but I'm hoping someone else needs to turn off HPET in virtual machines and knows the solution with the latest 8.2 series of Proxmox

Thank you, Fiona, for the quick reply. That did the trick.

Just for ease of future searching (the diff file in the bug report was not the clearest to me ;-) . ....

The solution to turning off hpet was to replace the line:

args: -no-hpet

with:

args: -machine hpet=off

In the virtual machine's CONF file (in /etc/pve/qemu-server)

Last edited:
Reactions: fiona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!