Trying to recreate ZFS volume - keep getting error {path "/mnt/datastore/backup1" already exists (400}

bearhntr

Sep 9, 2022
Atlanta, GA USA
I inadvertently created a ZFS with Compression <ON> and to the wrong drive. Took forever to get rid of it. I have WIPED the drive 3 times and re-init with GPT 3 times. I do a "mount -l" from the shell and nothing shows for /dev/sdb# (at all) -- but every time I try and create a new ZFS with the same name I was using - I get this error. I have checked the datastore.cfg at least I think the right one...as it is {blank}. Where else is it seeing this. How do I completely get rid of (and see all of the old stuff)? I had another drive which I had done just EXT4 and called it "store1" - I get the same error if I try and use that name too.

1724435044341.png

Go to the shell. Run these. Report back.

zpool status

zfs list

df -h

Thanks - I decided when I reached frustration level of 9...and I had not yet begun making backups. I blew away everything on the box - re-installed and re-setup. Making sure that I did it as I had wanted to begin with. As you asked, here is the new setup/install. I would love to know why I could not find where the system was 'seeing' that I had used the ZFS name - and remove that.

1724515254754.png

The mount folder /mnt/datastore/backup1 probably does already exist. Remove the folder, then create the ZFS pool again.

Heh. Ya. Nuke'n'pave. It works.
Well, we don't have the problem anymore, so its hard to tell.

The zpool status gives us general pool info.
I expected that when you ran "zfs list", we would see the ghost.
The "df -h" was to tell how it was represented in the filesystem.
And then we would have used the exact path listed there to ...

zfs destroy /mnt/datastore/backup

(ZFS mounts can be created that aren't regular filesystems, so "rm -rf /mnt/datastore/backup" would not work.)

Last edited:
Reactions: bearhntr

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!