Trying to install Proxmox in Parallels on MacBook Pro M1

Felix Pastron

Mar 8, 2019
I have a MacBook Pro M1 (silicon chip) running Parallels Desktop app. I'm trying to create a Proxmox VM within Parallels, but not having any luck.

I've read that Proxmox is not compatible with silicon chip, but wondering if there's anything I can do to make this work. Thank you for any input.

Thanks for your quick reply. It does look like Parallels offers an Ubuntu 22 x86 64-bit emulation version.

What do you mean by "install Proxmox on top of it" ?

You can try UTM and emulate PVE there. It uses the Apple internal virtualization infrastructure, so that you have a free alternative to Parallels, VMware Fusion and VirtualBox. I just installed PVE 8 without any problems on my M2.

You can try UTM and emulate PVE there. It uses the Apple internal virtualization infrastructure, so that you have a free alternative to Parallels, VMware Fusion and VirtualBox. I just installed PVE 8 without any problems on my M2.
Hmm. Interesting. Are you able to run Mac OS as a guest with pass through?

I'm able to emulate PVE 8.2 on UTM 4.3.5 without any issue, but unable to run any vm on PVE.
"Guest has not initialized the display (yet)."
Did you @LnxBil able to test running any vm on it?

Hmm. Interesting. Are you able to run Mac OS as a guest with pass through?
With UTM2 it should work, with PVE running MacOs ... no.

I'm able to emulate PVE 8.2 on UTM 4.3.5 without any issue, but unable to run any vm on PVE.
"Guest has not initialized the display (yet)."
Did you @LnxBil able to test running any vm on it?
It shows the same error. This could be due to the missing nested hypervisor support

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!