trying to install libguestfs-tools causes attempt to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!

seaurchin

Oct 12, 2016
Code:
root@pve:/etc/apt# apt install libguestfs-tools -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  acl arch-test augeas-lenses binutils binutils-common binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu cryptsetup-bin db-util db5.3-util
  debootstrap exfat-fuse exfat-utils extlinux f2fs-tools firmware-linux-free fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono
  fonts-urw-base35 gawk ghostscript hfsplus icoutils kpartx ldmtool libafflib0v5 libaugeas0 libbfio1 libbinutils libconfig9
  libctf-nobfd0 libctf0 libdate-manip-perl libdeflate0 libewf2 libgs9 libgs9-common libguestfs-hfsplus libguestfs-perl
  libguestfs-reiserfs libguestfs-xfs libguestfs0 libhfsp0 libhivex0 libidn11 libijs-0.35 libintl-perl libintl-xs-perl
  libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 liblcms2-2 libldm-1.0-0 libmpfr6 libnetpbm10 libntfs-3g883 libopenjp2-7 libpaper-utils libpaper1
  libparted2 libsigsegv2 libsys-virt-perl libtiff5 libtsk19 libvhdi1 libvirt0 libvmdk1 libwebp6 libwin-hivex-perl
  libxml-xpath-perl libyajl2 libyara4 linux-image-5.10.0-10-amd64 linux-image-amd64 lsscsi mdadm mtools netpbm ntfs-3g
  osinfo-db parted poppler-data reiserfsprogs scrub sleuthkit squashfs-tools supermin syslinux syslinux-common uuid-runtime
  virt-p2v zerofree
Suggested packages:
  augeas-doc binutils-doc ubuntu-archive-keyring squid-deb-proxy-client fonts-noto fonts-freefont-otf | fonts-freefont-ttf
  fonts-texgyre gawk-doc ghostscript-x augeas-tools libguestfs-gfs2 libguestfs-jfs libguestfs-nilfs libguestfs-rescue
  libguestfs-rsync libguestfs-zfs liblcms2-utils libparted-dev libparted-i18n linux-doc-5.10 debian-kernel-handbook
  dracut-core floppyd parted-doc poppler-utils fonts-japanese-mincho | fonts-ipafont-mincho fonts-japanese-gothic
  | fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming fonts-nanum autopsy mac-robber
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.13
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  acl arch-test augeas-lenses binutils binutils-common binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu cryptsetup-bin db-util db5.3-util
  debootstrap exfat-fuse exfat-utils extlinux f2fs-tools firmware-linux-free fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono
  fonts-urw-base35 gawk ghostscript hfsplus icoutils kpartx ldmtool libafflib0v5 libaugeas0 libbfio1 libbinutils libconfig9
  libctf-nobfd0 libctf0 libdate-manip-perl libdeflate0 libewf2 libgs9 libgs9-common libguestfs-hfsplus libguestfs-perl
  libguestfs-reiserfs libguestfs-tools libguestfs-xfs libguestfs0 libhfsp0 libhivex0 libidn11 libijs-0.35 libintl-perl
  libintl-xs-perl libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 liblcms2-2 libldm-1.0-0 libmpfr6 libnetpbm10 libntfs-3g883 libopenjp2-7
  libpaper-utils libpaper1 libparted2 libsigsegv2 libsys-virt-perl libtiff5 libtsk19 libvhdi1 libvirt0 libvmdk1 libwebp6
  libwin-hivex-perl libxml-xpath-perl libyajl2 libyara4 linux-image-5.10.0-10-amd64 linux-image-amd64 lsscsi mdadm mtools
  netpbm ntfs-3g osinfo-db parted poppler-data reiserfsprogs scrub sleuthkit squashfs-tools supermin syslinux syslinux-common
  uuid-runtime virt-p2v zerofree
0 upgraded, 91 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/108 MB of archives.
After this operation, 176 MB of additional disk space will be used.
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)     touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)     - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)     - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

SO I marked these packages held.
Code:
# apt-mark hold proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.13
proxmox-ve set on hold.
pve-firmware set on hold.
pve-kernel-5.13 set on hold.
So if I try to install libguesfs-tools is now resulting in this error message:

Code:
# apt install libguestfs-tools -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 pve-firmware : Conflicts: firmware-linux-free but 20200122-1 is to be installed

what should I do ?

I'm guessing the error is because is built for the Debian kernel but Proxmox uses a different one.

Those tools are for libvirt-based systems, but Proxmox does not use libvirt so it isn't clear that they will help you with the task you have in mind. If you just want to be able to mount VM disk images outside of the VM they go with then you might try the installing the kpartx tool by itself (it installed without issue for me). If you have some other reason maybe ask and someone will know.

Bash:
apt download supermin
dpkg -i supermin*.deb
apt install libguestfs-tools

from my blog(chinese)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!