Trying to blacklist i915 module for use by guest via PCI passthru.

steevestroke

May 29, 2022
Howdy, folks.

I'm relatively new to Proxmox but not Debian. I'm working on doing a passthru of my Intel UHD Graphics adapter to a VM and I cannot seem to get the 'i915' driver blacklisted from the host.

Here's what I have so far. Yes, there's some redundancy of the 'blacklist' statement. I've been trying multiple places in the filesystem and it's just not working regardless.

* /etc/modprod.d/intel-uhd-passthru.conf
# driver for embedded Intel UDH Graphics
blacklist i915

* /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf
# This file contains a list of modules which are not supported by Proxmox VE

# nidiafb see bugreport https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=701
blacklist nvidiafb

# prevent host from grabbing Intel UHD Graphics
blacklist i915

And then update the initrd:
update-initramfs -u -k all && reboot

Check that the i915 module has been blacklisted from the host and thus is available for the guest to use:
lsmod | grep i915

Output:
i915 2990080 2
ttm 81920 1 i915
drm_kms_helper 303104 1 i915
cec 61440 2 drm_kms_helper,i915
drm 598016 4 drm_kms_helper,i915,ttm
i2c_algo_bit 16384 2 igb,i915
video 53248 1 i915

Much appreciated.

So, I just solved it.

1) removed all of the blacklist statements for i915. Added this to the /etc/modprode.d/intel-uhd-passthru.conf:

Works!
I had this same issue, seems like proxmox just ignores standard methods of blacklisting some modules.
I had passthrough "working" (as in Win 10 guest sees the gpu, assigns it a generic display, and I can drag windows to the "next" display but still I just get a black screen on the monitor).
This worked in that i915 finally doesn't even get loaded, but still can get screen output from igpu, even if the guest can use the igpu for other stuff... did you manage to achieve this?

Silly Question. Do you have two GPUs? i915 and an external? Or just the i915?

Sorry, I have totally refactored that infra now. I am now running with 2x NVIDIA plus an on-board and will be looping back through the PCI pass-thru stuff in the coming weeks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!