TrueNas in Proxmox

stefgrifon

Mar 30, 2021
Hello,

I m new on proxmox so I need yours advice

I have a dell server r720xd with Perc H710 Mini.

So I make raid 0 to all my disks so that it can recognise the proxmox and I have done these configurations

2x450 ssd for Proxmox (Raid1 zfs)

1x1tb ssd for my web page (single)

11x4tb sas for True Nas (no configuration)

My question s is:

Is this correct or should I have done it differently?

How can I give these drives 11x4tb to TrueNas that is already installed in proxmox?

Thank you

Stefanos

Don't use HW Raid Controllers like your PERC H710 Mini with ZFS. See here: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Performance and Tuning/Hardware.html#hardware-raid-controllers

If you want to use ZFS or TrueNAS get a HBA instead of a Raid Controller or flash your Raid Controller into IT-Mode so it looses raid functionality and becomes a dumb HBA. For example described here: https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html
But check first if your PERC Model is compatible so you don't brick it.

And best you PCI passthrough your HBA to the TrueNAS VM, because thats the only way how TrueNAS could directly and physically access the HDDs. But then keep in mind that your 3 SSDs can't be connected to that HBA and probably also can't use the same backplane.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer.

As I understood correctly, I will make flash to my raid controller and after that I will use them without hardware raid.

The thing I do not really understand is the pci passthrough. Why can’t I use the same backplane?

Must I buy a pcie card?

I have now the 2pcs ssd in backplane, the one ssd and 11 sas in the front.

When using PCI passthrough you passthrough the complete controller with all drives attached to the TrueNAS VM. Hardware that you passthrough can'T be longer used by neither the host, nor any other VM. So if you would connect the SSDs to the HBA and then passthrough the HBA to the TrueNAS VM, only your TrueNAS VM could access those SSDs and you can't use them as a PVE system disk or as a storage for other VMs.

Most backplanes use SFF connectors and/or expanders where you connect your HBA/raid controller to. If you can't connect the SSDs to the HBA, you need to connect them to the SATA ports of your mainboard onboard chipset which you don't passthrough, so you need a way to mount the SSDs somewhere, where you could directly connect them with a SATA cable.

And yes, I wouldn't crossflash the raid controller if it is onboard. Crossflashing always got the risk to brick the raid controller and you don't want to brick your entire mainboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefgrifon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!