TrueNAS drive config help

sentur

Jan 11, 2023
I’ve made a small PVE host to run TrueNAS + a couple of other small container services.

I’ve got PVE on an 1TB nvme formatted as ZFS. The nvme has the host PVE OS and is where my VMs and CTs are stored too.

I want to run NextCloud / Syncthjng and TailScale as apps inside the TrueNAS instance.

Ill set up the TrueNAS VM to use ext4

I’m going to add 2x Sata 4TB Drives as RAID1 mirror and pass through the drives to TrueNAS. This is what will be the main shared data store. I’ll setup the 4TB Drives as ZFS as well.

As I’ll need somewhere to store the apps for TrueNAS what’s the best place to put them? Should I partition the nvme drive so there’s speedy storage? And then let the 4tb drive storage pool be used for the data store?

You have to create an install drive for trueNAS during the create VM process. That drive will be visible from within TrueNAS. Why not just use that?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!