Troubleshooting help needed

stimpymgs

Apr 16, 2024
Hi,
My Proxmox web interface is broken. This happened after trying to add SMB storage.
As you can see in the image, there's nothing under 'datacenter'. This really only seems to be an interface issue, because the VMs are working! I don't know where to start to troubleshoot this but I feel it somehow is related to trying to add SMB storage earlier because that didn't work and resulted in an 500 error. I didn't copy the exact error message because I first wanted to see if a reboot would've fixed it. Also, all options under 'datacenter' are empty. For example, when I click storage, nothing shows up.
I can SSH to my host. I've tried different browsers (Firefox, Edge) on different devices but the behaviour is the same.
1713292114231.png

Last edited:
Are there any messages in your browser Developer Tools > Console?
Are there any errors in "journalctl -n 100"?
Are there any suspect messages in " tail -100 /var/log/pveproxy/access.log" ?
Have you tried "incognito" mode?
Have you tried to install any "hacks" to modify nag behavior or similar?
Does "debsums -c" complain? (may need to be installed)

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

To me it looks like you messed up the UI binaries/config.

How about trying to reinstall the UI packages with?
Code:
apt install --reinstall pve-manager proxmox-widget-toolkit libjs-extjs

Note: I personally have never done this or needed to.

Are there any messages in your browser Developer Tools > Console?
Are there any errors in "journalctl -n 100"?
Are there any suspect messages in " tail -100 /var/log/pveproxy/access.log" ?
Have you tried "incognito" mode?
Have you tried to install any "hacks" to modify nag behavior or similar?
Does "debsums -c" complain? (may need to be installed)

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
root@pve:~# journalctl -n 100
Apr 16 21:10:23 pve pvestatd[1039]: storage status update error: storage 'provider' does not exist

I haven't installed any hacks or mods or anything, just tried to add SMB storage.
same issue in incognito mode

Last edited:
To me it looks like you messed up the UI binaries/config.

How about trying to reinstall the UI packages with?
Code:
apt install --reinstall pve-manager proxmox-widget-toolkit libjs-extjs

Note: I personally have never done this or needed to.
Did this, no errors during installation proces, rebooted, but still the same issue :(
also after a complete refresh of the page (ctrl+shift+R) and incognito mode

Then, perhaps, you should remove the new storage.
For everyone's education please post output of "cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg", then edit the file and remove config stanza which contains "provider".
Perhaps, you copy/pasted something that should have been replaced.

Last edited:
Just about to post that myself but it should read:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

Last edited:
Then, perhaps, you should remove the new storage.
For everyone's education please post output of "cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg", then edit the file and remove config stanza which contains "provider".
Perhaps, you copy/pasted something that should have been replaced.

awesome, that fixed it! Removed the 'storage' entry and now the UI is functioning like it should. Also, I have successfully added my SMB storage (so I can now setup a proper backup solution ^^

You failed the good advice of bbgeek17 to post the pre-edited output, for general education purposes.
Anyway, mark this as solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!