[SOLVED] Trouble replacing a faulted disk in zpool

Riesling.Dry

Renowned Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hi,
so (again) a disk went bad ("faulted") in a ZFS pool.
Server is a hp Proliant Microserver Gen 8 w. 4 x 4TB - the bad/new disk was/is the 1st/left one in the row, no hardware-RAID configured, not hot-plug.

I removed the faulted HD ("zpool offline").
Systems boots fine w. 3 HDs.
After shutdown, I plug in the new blank HD.
System does not boot.

I did proxmox-boot-tool clean and proxmox-boot-tool status gives:
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace.. System currently booted with legacy bios 57C2-AE3A is configured with: grub (versions: 5.15.104-1-pve, 5.15.107-1-pve) 57C4-2424 is configured with: grub (versions: 5.15.104-1-pve, 5.15.107-1-pve) 57C5-58D7 is configured with: grub (versions: 5.15.104-1-pve, 5.15.107-1-pve)
Yet, with the new HD plugged in, box does not boot, hence I cannot even get to zpool add, replace, sgdisk, etc.

Q: How do I get the box to boot w. the new blank HD installed?

Cheers,
~R.

Last edited:
o.k. sometimes there is plain simple solution, but you have to think of the simple way... ;)

Moved the 3 good disks "physically" to the left and added the new on in the last/right/4th slot.
Box boots and I can go on adding the new disk to zpool :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!