Trim VM filesystem while vm running?

fx919

Mar 19, 2019
Hi,

is it possible and safe to trim/discard a VMs filesystem from outside(proxmox host) while the vm is online?

I have some non-fstrim-enabled VMs on a proxmox host with lvm thin provisioning and I want to fstrim the vms filesystem regularly. So I thought I shutdown the VM and mount the VM filesystem from the proxmox host and run fstrim on the mountpoint. But I did not check that the VM really had shut down. In fact it hadn't, because it was stuck at some point. So I obviously did an fstrim on a twice mounted filesystem. I thought I trashed the virtual machine by that, but that did not happen. The VM started up without no problem.

I wonder whether it is generally safe to do that?

What I did to trim the VMs filesystem:
  • added partition device files
    Code:
    kpartx -av /dev/mapper/pve--vm--100--disk--0
  • mounted VM filesystem on the host
    Code:
    mount /dev/mapper/pve--vm--disk--0p1 /mnt2
  • ren fstrim
    Code:
    fstrim -v /mnt2
  • unmounted filesystem
    Code:
    umount /mnt2
  • delete partition devices files
    Code:
    kpartx -dv /dev/mapper/pve--vm--100--disk--0

Last edited:
The double mount alone is a bad idea in general. Filesystems that are not designed for that can suffer data-loss from just that step alone. Doing a TRIM on a running, double-mounted disk is trouble² indeed, while it may have worked once, I wouldn't recommend it.

I assume what happened to not have it break that one time is that the VM was stuck shutting down, in a state where the guest OS had already stopped issuing writes.

Reactions: fx919 and hellfire
I assume what happened to not have it break that one time is that the VM was stuck shutting down, in a state where the guest OS had already stopped issuing writes.

That sounds like it may be safe that, when I pause a VM, do fstrim and unpause the VM afterwards?

That sounds like it may be safe that, when I pause a VM, do fstrim and unpause the VM afterwards?
It was not my intention to make it sound like any combination of doing that will be safe :) Even then you're double-mounting the filesystem (pausing the VM doesn't unmount the FS from the guest's view), which means the filesystem might be in an inconsistent state altogether.

Reactions: fx919 and hellfire

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!