Traffic Shaper

Jul 14, 2024
Hello friends.

I'm migrating my environment from HYPER-V to Proxmox.

Some VMs are configured with traffic shaper through Pfsense.

I noticed that the VM configured in Proxmox has the download speed at half the speed configured in the traffic shaper.

For example: Configured 100 Mbit/s and when performing the test it reaches 50 Mbit/s.

In HYPER-V this occurrence was not presented.

If you turn the traffic shaper off for that device, is it then able to reach maximum speeds, or only half of that also?
And:
Is the PFsense a VM too on the same or a different proxmox server, or something external?
To what device are you testing the speed? VM, LAN, WAN?

If you turn the traffic shaper off for that device, is it then able to reach maximum speeds, or only half of that also?
And:
Is the PFsense a VM too on the same or a different proxmox server, or something external?
To what device are you testing the speed? VM, LAN, WAN?
With Traffic Shaper off, I have top speeds.

PFsense is installed on its own hardware.

My test is on the VM.

I meant/asked TO what device you are doing that speed-test, I get you are coming FROM the VM, but if with the Traffic Shaper off it gets full speed, then we at least know it's the PFSense's, proxmox's or the VM's settings, and not something to do with the internet or target.
One more question, is it consistently half? So if you set it to 50, is the speed then 25 or does it stay at 50?

Also, Any reason to not use the Rate Limit built into proxmox itself?
For this go to the Hardware tab, double-click your Ethernet-adaptor, check advanced, set the Rate Limit (Note that it is MB/s, not Mbps, so for 100 Mbps you need to set it to 12.5 MB/s) save and of course disable it on PFSense. No reboot required for it to become active.
Not saying that you shouldn't do it with PFSense btw, but more-so curious and possible providing a work-around that might already do what you need it to.

I meant/asked TO what device you are doing that speed-test, I get you are coming FROM the VM, but if with the Traffic Shaper off it gets full speed, then we at least know it's the PFSense's, proxmox's or the VM's settings, and not something to do with the internet or target.
One more question, is it consistently half? So if you set it to 50, is the speed then 25 or does it stay at 50?

For this go to the Hardware tab, double-click your Ethernet-adaptor, check advanced, set the Rate Limit (Note that it is MB/s, not Mbps, so for 100 Mbps you need to set it to 12.5 MB/s) save and of course disable it on PFSense. No reboot required for it to become active.
Not saying that you shouldn't do it with PFSense btw, but more-so curious and possible providing a work-around that might already do what you need it to.
Used to limit internet speed. The test was carried out on the website https://www.speedtest.net/. The limit is halfway, but only the download, the upload is total.

If I limit Proxmox, won't it also limit communication with other devices on my internal network?

I forgot to mention that the VM was migrated from HYPER-V to PROXMOX.
I installed a new VM directly in PROXMOX and the problem does not occur.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!