[SOLVED] Tracking Center empty since 01-01-2022 ?

i confirm its working for me as well...
i wrote the command then i did a
Code:
/etc/init.d/rsyslog restart
and started showing up on tracking center

Check again on 2nd-Jan-2022, the tracking center back to normal. Did not run the logrotate command.

Confirming this is true - I have just logged on and all back to normal. I like fixes where you dont have to fix anything :)

However all the logs from the 26th 00:00 to 2nd Jan 00:01 are not showing. I guess its no big deal given people arnt working and I havnt received a request for an email delivery issue... I hope!

Last edited:
Same issue for me after Dec 25th, 22:30 CST was the last mail in tracking center...except for a single messae on Jan 2nd.

Another issue,if you have several domains there only 1-2 domains have result at tracking center,but you can see other domains Spam Quarantine without problem

With the new year, came a new issue... namely, our tracking centers in PMG are empty since 01-01-2022, I do see email traffic in the mail logs tho.
Anyone having the same experience and/or a hint on how to solve this ?
Thanks for the hint - and huge thanks to all community-members who stepped up to find the logrotate workaround.

The issue was a known one (tracking center not working 100% over the switch of a year) - however with newer debian versions (bullseye and onward) this was made a bit more problematic - https://salsa.debian.org/debian/rsyslog/-/commit/651236c2319eb0ca13fd1d376eaf239a6dcd5c49
/var/log/syslog is now rotated along with all other files written by syslog only on a weekly basis. (for a good reason as described in the link above)

However pmg-log-tracker (the binary doing the actual parsing of the logs) made the assumption that each log-file only contains the logs of one fixed year (and that it's rotated daily)

I sent a patch for discussion to the pmg-devel mailing list: https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pmg-devel/2022-January/001963.html
once this or an improved version has been applied we'll ship an updated pmg-log-tracker package which should address the issue.

In general - while the Tracking Center is really comfortable and works very well in 99.9 % of the time - I'd always recommend to look at the logs directly if something seems not working.
The tracking center is not involved in the processing of mails at all - so even if it is empty it could very well be that it just could not parse one particular log line (the parser is rather fast, and memory-efficient - but that comes at some trade-off regarding flexibility in accepted input)

hello guys, I join the post to report that I am also in the same problem.
i tried running the logrotate command but it didn't solve it and i have version 2.3.1-1 of pmg-log-tracker.
I will leave you a list of the version of my packages.

Code:
proxmox-mailgateway-container: 7.1-2
pmg-api: 7.1-7
pmg-gui: 3.1-4
clamav-daemon: 0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1
ifupdown: 0.8.36+pve2
libarchive-perl: 3.4.0-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libjs-framework7: 4.4.7-1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.2
libproxmox-acme-plugins: 1.4.2
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.2-3
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.1-4
libxdgmime-perl: 1.0-1
lvm2: not correctly installed
pmg-docs: 7.1-2
pmg-i18n: 2.7-2
pmg-log-tracker: 2.3.1-1
postgresql-13: 13.8-0+deb11u1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-spamassassin: 3.4.6-4
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.5.1
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-1

How often have you scripted your CRON to update?

If the packages are up to date, then it just could be a "transitory" issue - however @Stoiko Ivanov or @hata_ph will probably give you clearer advise if there was an underlying issue.

Mine updates hourly and it fails 3-4 times a day. For me, as long as it doesnt fail 3 times in a row, I just ignore it for now.

solved. i've relaunced logrotate and reboot the system. now i can see the list populated

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!