TPM State and snapshots

Tipenso

May 12, 2022
Hi to all.
Due to the fact I can't snapshot a VM (NFS storage, but TPM State disk in raw), I've simply tried to remove hardware "TPM State" from Proxmox VM configuration.
After VM reboot, I can yet see TPM hardware in Windows Device Manager, but TPM State raw disk is no more present.

Schermata 2022-12-02 alle 15.03.53.png

Why? This seems a great workaround: I have yet TPM hardware, but no more TPM raw disk, and so can I snapshot the VM!
Then... what's the point of having "TPM State" hardware and associated raw disk?
Out of curiosity, I also tried removing the TPM hardware from the windows device manager, and searching for new hardware, it reappears.
Thank you.

Reactions: Mandelbrot
in my case, I store the whole vm in a NFS storage, when creating a windows vm that needs tpm the tpm disk gets automatically created in raw format and this prevent snapshots

Yes, all it's working after several months.
@pille99 : as said from @Mandelbrot TPM hardware creates automatically a raw disk, and it can't be converted in qcow2 format. Snaphots doesn't work with raw.
Thanks for posting this, just run into the same issue. Nice to know it's not cause any immediate problems!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!