Torrenting speeds

Vise

Jun 15, 2024
Hi All,
I'm at a complete loss. Trying to work out if my ISP is somehow throttling a specific IP / PC on my network (which I don't believe is possible)
Basically all my issues started happening around when I changed from 1 ISP to another, that doesn't mean the problem is connected tho.

Prior to the I was running Qbittorrent in a proxmox LXC and was getting decent speeds I am on a 1000mb plan and would regularly see the correct speeds.
Now however, my torrents grind to a halt. I've tried fresh installs of Qbit, and deluge. I've tried running a container with OpenVPN and passing deluge through it. Most recently I've installed a openWRT router and installed a PIA vpn on it and still it will run, then slow down to basically 0.

I do have qbittorrent on a windows PC which seems to still be getting high speeds on downloads for the full duration.

1720501351826.png

I am not sure what details experts would need to aid with this diagnosis.

Thanks,
Vise

Last edited:
ISP's might not be able to block a single system, but they might be able to block ports or protocols.

So where I would start would be to try "normal" speed-tests, by downloading large (5GB or more) test-files with wget or curl from sites like https://testfile.org/ or https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download (or a dozen different options, search online) and see if those do work.

If they do, then your ISP might indeed be blocking/slowing torrents to prevent piracy
If they don't (and again do work on your PC), then it's something in the system still.

1720571489408.png
So I ran this test 1.5x (stupidly didn't have space to complete the file the first time)
I wouldn't say that the speeds are mind boggling however, they are far faster than the speeds I see torrenting when it gets 'shaped' or blocked.
So this would mean it's either something in the deluge/qbit application itself OR port shaping from ISP ?

Also cheers for the response !

Compare it with the same download on your PC and you’ll know if it is in your ISP or router (if roughly the same) or proxmox/VM setup (if PC is vastly quicker. If it is the same though, you might also want to try a different site/server, just to be sure it isn’t the server you are getting things from that is slow

Last edited:
Sorry to be clear. I believe those speeds are 'reasonable' Certainly not the shaped speed I am seeing in torrents. This was done using the same LXC container that deluge is running on, and at the same time 0 torrent activity.

I'm not knowledgeable enough with deluge/qbit, so I can't really help you much with that, but we at least know that the "hardware" of everything seems to be fine, so it will be either settings in the software, or in your ISP's new stuff (which, given when it changed, might be a probably cause, but they might not be able/willing to help you, given what torrents are often used for)
I know that some software have options to "mask" their traffic as general https/443 traffic, making discovery harder, so maybe look at that, but other then that you'll have to either wait for others to chime in or your own further investigation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!