toml syntax for creating/specifying custom partitions

_coredump

Sep 6, 2024
Hello all

I am new to proxmox and playing with VE 8 under Oracle VirtualBox with the idea of eventually deploying it to my HP Gen8 microserver with 4 x 8TB SATA HDDs.

I would like to experiment with using a modest (16-128GB) system partition on each of 3-4 disks and assigning everything else to a data partition and then defining across them the boot zpool "rpool" and a data "dpool" - possibly with slightly different zfs configs. Or a data LVM in place of the data zpool (using some form of software RAID to combine the bigger data partitions in a resilient set of PVs). In other words, rather than having the third partition listed here:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Host_Bootloader#sysboot_installer_part_scheme

to have a third and fourth partition - one for system, one for data.

But the main point of the question is: short of manually creating the partitions and then following a reboot from the VE install ISO referencing them by device name in the answer file is there a way to get the installer to create the extra partitions itself and then assign zpools and/or LVM VGs to them?

If not, is there a "pre"-install scripting hook to allow initialization external to the installer (but as close to the original layout as possible - save for the two-way split of the third partition into "VE system" and "data")? Please note I am not asking if doing so is advisable or a good idea, only what are the easiest ways to achieve it if I wanted to.

I come from the Fedora/CentOS5/CentOS6 world where an interactive run of Anaconda would produce an equivalent config file from the inputs it collected interactively (sort of the way the Oracle Universal Installer in record mode would generate a more-or-less valid response file for a DB/RAC install or the autoexpect tool would get you started on an expect script you could then hone down to something meaningful, compact and useful without starting from scratch).

Then the plan is to provide the URL of an answer file on the installer boot command line if possible:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Automated_Installation#Serving_Answer_Files_via_HTTP
https://github.com/natankeddem/autopve

to avoid re-generating an install ISO each time I want to modify a couple of characters in the answer file.

So far I've played with TrueNAS on my microserver but found its installer too rigidly opinionated.

Regards
_coredump

Setting hdsize to 8GB limits the size of the 3rd partition to 8GB but does not create a fourth partition

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!