To have write access to a NFS share hosted on OMV VM, hosted on the same proxmox machine.

garzzz

Oct 8, 2024
Hi,

Long story short: if i have a NFS shared folder that i'm able to mount from and OMV VM into proxmox, but i can only read it, the issue is in the proxmox config or in the OMV config?

More details:
i've hosted a virtualized NAS before, with disk passthrough through PICe, and i'm very happy with this solution to provide NAS services to my network.
Then i wanted to expand the server capabilities, adding an *arr stack.

I choosed to host several LXC container, one for every arr app, and i thought i've solved the issue to provide access to the shared folder on the virtualized NAS.
I've read that a proper solution is to mount the NFS share directly on proxmox, and then use bind mount points to provide access to the LXC containers.

I've read the documentation and understood how to do so, now proxmox mount the NFS folder (after a delay, to let OMV boot properly) and the containers have their bind mountpoints.

The only issue is that they only have read access, they can't write.
Of course (not really, i didn't thought about it at the beginning) they can't, since even proxmox itself can't write that folder.

My NFS knowledge is limited, i don't understand why i can't write on that folder, my guess is that i'm using "root" user to try to access (but on the other hand i don't know how to allow an external root user and, most important, if this is the proper way to solve it.

Thanks, i'll check OMV.

But i've read that the only way to assign NFS permission is to match UID/GID, from proxmox to OMV.
This seems to be quite easy, for a normal user. But do i have to provide root access to the shared folder?

I have the NAS only working in LAN, but still make "root" the owner of a shared service doesn't sound good to me.

Is NFS a good sharing option to provide data storage to a proxmox machine and containers or is there something better? (possibly, not way more complex).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!