Ticket API OTP Failing

utkonos

Apr 11, 2022
I have created a new user accout on the PVE instance. I have also added a TOTP 2fa entry for this user. If I login as the user via the GUI login, the 2fa code works and login occurs as expected. There are two log entries generated during the login process. The first is after the username and password are sent. And the second is when the TOTP number is sent.

Code:
May 26 16:44:31 instance pvedaemon[524347]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'apiuser@pve'
May 26 16:44:38 instance pvedaemon[524347]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'apiuser@pve'

If I try to use the API and the TOTP is enbled, the API response is 401 authentication failure
and the following error is shown in the logs:

Code:
May 26 16:49:54 instance pvedaemon[536496]: authentication failure; rhost=::ffff:10.10.10.10 user=apiuser@pve msg=invalid tfa response

Here is the request being made:

HTTP:
POST /api2/json/access/ticket HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Host: instance:8006
Connection: close
User-Agent: RapidAPI/4.2.2 (Macintosh; OS X/14.5.0) GCDHTTPRequest
Content-Length: 66

{"username":"apiuser@pve","password":"1234567890","otp":"678457"}

If I disable the TFA entry for this user, and POST exactly the same request as above but without the otp k/v pair, then I get a correct response with a ticket etc.

What am I doing wrong here? How can I diagnose this problem?

Is there perhaps debug logging of the 2fa check in both cases that can be enabled? I could compare what happens in these three conditions to see what is going wrong:

1) GUI Login with 2fa enabled
2) API ticket with 2fa enabled
3) API ticket with 2fa disabled

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!