Three VMs in three separate Volume groups i.e of three physical disks(i.e actually single one disk).

wasim.devops

Jun 27, 2022
Overview Details:

I had done a proxmox installation 2 months ago.
While installation, It provided option to select one disk of 3.7Tb and in that i have installed proxmox.
Installation completed with that and had two separate volumes : i.e Local-lvm & local(500Gb) .
Further Due to some requirements I have extend the disk from 3.7GTb to its actual physical size i.e of 10.92TB with lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/pve/data.

Image 1
Screenshot from 2022-12-27 14-38-44.png

Image2

Screenshot from 2022-12-27 14-38-58.png

Image3
Screenshot from 2022-12-27 14-39-11.png

Now I have cleaned data from this 11Tb Disk(local-lvm) & also from local I am cleaning the data as well.

Requirement:-
And now the requirement is to have three VMs installation in three different physical groups.
But during the VM creation option—> it doesn’t show the option that option and it show single local-lvm as per below Image4.

Image4 .

Screenshot from 2022-12-27 12-35-37.png

Please suggest the steps or approach to have different local lvms i.e local-lvm1 --> disk1 , local-lvm2--> disk2 , local-lvm3 --> disk3.
Or to have three vms created in three separate disks in separate volume groups.

Thanks

@bbgeek17 & Team ,
Please help and some suggest some approach.

Image4 .

View attachment 44895

Please suggest the steps or approach to have different local lvms i.e local-lvm1 --> disk1 , local-lvm2--> disk2 , local-lvm3 --> disk3.
Or to have three vms created in three separate disks in separate volume groups.

Thanks

@bbgeek17 & Team ,
Please help and some suggest some approach.
AFAIU you want to have the virtual disks hosted by 3 different physical disks. In this case you have to configure 3 different storages - expandig a LVM group across 3 disks is not a solution for this.

For considering the situation comprehensively more information is necessary, running a pvereport will show the requested one.

You need to breakup your existing LVM VG and create two new ones. It can be done but not without a risk.
Plug this into google "remove disk from pv", one of the first results that comes up for me:
https://access.redhat.com/documenta..._volume_manager_administration/disk_remove_ex

At first glance it appears like what you need. Obviously specific details of your environment matter here. If there is important data on the system - back it up, there is always a risk of data loss.

Additionally, you are running a type 1 hypervisor already. Setup a Debian VM, you can even use Proxmox ISO. Add 2 more disks to it. Replicate your physical environment setup and experiment with VM first.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!