Thin Provision Shared Storage

zhoid

Sep 4, 2019
Hi,

I have mounted a LUN from my SAN to my cluster environment setup with LVM appears to be the only option to setup storage that is shared.
Having Shared storage gives you options to live migrate, HA, etc but most VM's we will provision does not use > than 20% of the guest OS disk space, as a result of this we will waste allot of storage space.
LVM-Thin has no sharing capabilities.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Zaid

Any recommendations?

No, there is no viable option except LVM for a SAN-based and therefore distributed shared storage, that would be officially supported. There is GFS but it wasn't mature enough when I last tried it - lots of crashes...

All the options @danielb provided are all true, but unfortunately are either dedicated shared storage and not distributed shared storage or file based with a new storage server.

An alternative would be to have a HA-VM that gets your storage from the SAN and offers it via NFS oder ZFS-over-iSCSI to your cluster and you use it, but it adds another layer of software to your stack and is probably not what you want.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!