the problem with updating to 8.2

evgen45

Aug 13, 2024
Experts, please help me. I have a GK3 mini PC on intel n5105, the r8169 network driver is installed. I launched the proxmox update from 8.04 to 8.2, everything was updated normally. But after reboot, everything freezes when booting Linux 6.8.12-1-pve. In grub, I chose the old 6.2.16-20 kernel. I booted up and installed the 6.5.13-6 kernel on it. proxmox booted with this kernel, but the network interface was gone, and therefore there is no remote access. Why can there be such problems, and what can be done to run on the current kernel

Have you already resolved the problem? If not, could you post:

- if your network device is showing up and has a proper driver loaded with lspci -nnk | grep -A2 -E '(Network|Ethernet)'
- the syslog from a boot from each kernel, e.g. boot with each kernel and then pipe the output of journalctl --no-pager -b <boot-number> > syslog_boot_boot-number.log into separate files (where the boot-number is 0 for the current boot, -1 for the previous boot, and so on)

That information should make it more clear why the network device couldn't be initialized.

Hi!
I have the same problem after update to latest 8.2 kernel.
After update network interface names have changed!
Fix:
1. Show new names: ip a s
2. nano /etc/network/interfaces and change to new name(s)
3. ifreload -a

OR
Here https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#custom from "CUSTOM SCHEMES USING .LINK FILES"

Good luck!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!