The dreaded rename issue - HOWTO fix?

iPanini

Mar 30, 2019
Hi folks,

Please bear with me, here's a little background info to illustrate my situation:
A couple of years ago, must have been 2018 or 2019, I started out with Proxmox. At that time I had two Proxmox servers up and running. (Homelab situation). Somewhere 2021 we moved to a new house, and in the process all the "old" machines where powered off and stored away.
One of the machines just won't boot anymore, I suspect there's either a PSU failure or worse a MOBO problem.

In the mean time, while the elder machines were dormant, I got a free (older) machine from my employer. (Intel i5) And on that machine I have set up Proxmox as well. This machine is up and running, and named pve-1.

Now lately I've done a lot of trial and error to try and see if I could get the old machines back up and running. And with one of them this has finally worked.
So on this machine, I had Proxmox 5.5, and I think it was running Debian Stretch.
Yesterday I spent time searching and reading and managed to upgrade Debian Stretch to Debian Bullseye, and I'v also managed to update Proxmox to 7.4-18.

Now my question / issue:
After upgrading Debian and Proxmox as well and doing the renaming (following a wiki post), my pre-existing vm's show greyed out and have a question mark as status.
Search has yielded that I should copy or move the /etc/pve/nodes/pve-old-name/qemu-server/102.conf file (and subsequent other NNN.conf files) to
/etc/pve/nodes/pve-new-name/qemu-server/102.conf.
But trying to do so throws a Permission denied error.

What do I need to do to be able to move / copy these files?
I assume some running services are keeping me from moving / copying these files? Is this correct?

Code:
root@pve-0:/etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server# cp 102.conf /etc/pve/nodes/pve-0/qemu-server/102.conf
cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/pve/nodes/pve-0/qemu-server/102.conf': Permission denied

Code:
root@pve-0:/etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server# mv 102.conf /etc/pve/nodes/pve-0/qemu-server/102.conf
mv: cannot move '102.conf' to '/etc/pve/nodes/pve-0/qemu-server/102.conf': Permission denied

I'd like to get this solved, most of all as a learning case, so there's no vital information to be lost in this case.

Thanks for helping out!

Attachments

• 2024-07-07 at 13.11.19_CleanShot.png
    2024-07-07 at 13.11.19_CleanShot.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 1
You have 3 nodes in the cluster, of which only 1 is currently seen as active.
That means that you're not quorate, which in turn means that /etc/pve is locked as read-only, that's why you can't change anything.
To double-check that this is the case, run "pvecm status" and you'll see "Quorate: No" most likely (meaning less then half of the total amount of nodes are in agreement of what the current status is)
What you could do to work-around it (note, work around, not fix) would be to run "pvecm expected 1" to make it work with only 1 vote (the current server's) so you can proceed, but after that you'd need some cleaning-up most likely to be in a work-able state again.

More reading-material:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-8-config-files-only-read-only.132600/

You have 3 nodes in the cluster, of which only 1 is currently seen as active.
That means that you're not quorate, which in turn means that /etc/pve is locked as read-only, that's why you can't change anything.
To double-check that this is the case, run "pvecm status" and you'll see "Quorate: No" most likely (meaning less then half of the total amount of nodes are in agreement of what the current status is)
What you could do to work-around it (note, work around, not fix) would be to run "pvecm expected 1" to make it work with only 1 vote (the current server's) so you can proceed, but after that you'd need some cleaning-up most likely to be in a work-able state again.

More reading-material:
Thanks for your quick reply!
Here's the result of pvecm status:
Code:
root@pve-0:~# pvecm status
Cluster information
-------------------
Name:             pve-0
Config Version:   2
Transport:        knet
Secure auth:      on

Cannot initialize CMAP service
root@pve-0:~#

And here's the result of systemctl status pve-cluster.service
Code:
root@pve-0:~# systemctl status pve-cluster.service
● pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-cluster.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2024-07-06 21:16:04 CEST; 16h ago
    Process: 1095 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pmxcfs (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 1125 (pmxcfs)
      Tasks: 7 (limit: 18978)
     Memory: 54.1M
        CPU: 40.383s
     CGroup: /system.slice/pve-cluster.service
             └─1125 /usr/bin/pmxcfs

Jul 07 13:42:35 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [dcdb] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:35 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [status] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:41 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [quorum] crit: quorum_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:41 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [confdb] crit: cmap_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:41 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [dcdb] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:41 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [status] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:47 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [quorum] crit: quorum_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:47 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [confdb] crit: cmap_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:47 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [dcdb] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 2
Jul 07 13:42:47 pve-0 pmxcfs[1125]: [status] crit: cpg_initialize failed: 2

In the mean time I'll do some more reading.

Last edited:

More reading-material:

And here's the result of running pvecm expected 1:
Code:
root@pve-0:~# pvecm expected 1
Cannot initialize CMAP service
root@pve-0:~#

Doing some more searching I found this post.
Code:
systemctl stop pve-cluster
/usr/bin/pmxcfs -l
[main] notice: forcing local mode (althought corosync.conf exists)

I followed that after sw-omit's suggestions a couple of posts before this one,
I was then able to mv the files from the old pve name to then new pve name, then
after a reboot, I got my vm's back!

Thanks for helping out!

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!