TASK ERROR: timeout waiting on systemd

uzair

Apr 30, 2024
Hello,

I stopped one of the VMs in my node and now I am not able to start it and facing the "TASK ERROR: timeout waiting on systemd" error. Below is my pveversion --verbose output. I was going through one of the threads where it was mentioned that downgrading to the previous kernel worked for few guys. This is my production network and I have other important VMs running as well so I can't really afford to reboot the node. Please correct me in my understanding and would request the experts to help me resolve it as it is already causing a lot of pain. It's an important VM.

1714502056599.png

Just to update that I was able to start the VM this morning and I didn't do anything with settings, I don't know how it started but now the issue is I am trying to restore its backup but I'm getting the below error. I would be immensely grateful if any expert would highlight the solution.

error before or during data restore, some or all disks were not completely restored. VM 100 state is NOT cleaned up.
TASK ERROR: unable to restore VM 100 - vm is running

UPDATE:

I have another PVE environment running and PBS is configured for the both PVEs and I have restored this VM in the other PVE environment and thankfully it's working fine. But I would still be grateful if any expert would highlight about the problem of why I'm not able to restore the backup in my existing NODE. I have mentioned the error that I am facing in previous response.

Thanks.

> TASK ERROR: unable to restore VM 100 - vm is running

Do a
Code:
ps ax |grep 'kvm -id 100'

And see if the VM is still actually running - you can't restore a backup over a running VM, it has to be completely powered off

Yes, the VM is running but the issue that I faced was when I wasn't able to power off the VM so I stopped the VM and after this I wasn't able to start it again and also I tried restoring the backup since the VM wasn't running but I got the above mentioned error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!