TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

DMT

Jul 2, 2024
I had a server that was running fine for weeks until I was installing a game server on it today. The install went smoothly until I tried to close the game server with ctrl+c to have it be unresponsive. I then used the Proxmox Web-UI to stop the server and when trying to start it again I'm receiving the below error.

Code:
kvm: -drive file=/mnt/pve/Games/images/101/vm-101-disk-0.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=on: Could not open '/mnt/pve/Games/images/101/vm-101-disk-0.qcow2': Input/output error
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

I stupidly didn't make a backup of the server before I started doing stuff on it. (a mistake I won't make again)

Is there anyway to fix this error? Or even just be able to access the files on it so I can back them up? I am okay with having to reinstall everything as long as I can recover the files from the server. I am new with Proxmox so please bare with my stupidity.

If it helps I was following this guide for the game server I was installing and got up to step 19.

https://pimylifeup.com/ubuntu-palworld-dedicated-server/

Hi,
are there any messages in the system journal? Please check the health of the underlying disk that contains the /mnt/pve/Games directory, e.g. with smartctl -a /dev/XYZ. If that is fine, what does qemu-img check /mnt/pve/Games/images/101/vm-101-disk-0.qcow2 say?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!