Tape Library connection possibilities

Falks

Sep 24, 2024
Hello dear forum,
we are very new to Proxmox and evaluating moving from Hyper-V to Proxmox.

One feature we need is backup to our tape library Quantum Scalar i3 LTO-9 with 50 bays.

I have read a lot of threads and googled for a while but could find the specific information, what kind of connection is possible between Proxmox Backup Server and our Quantum Scalar i3. The tape Library has a NIC, but it's only for configuration purposes. The drive is controller via a SCSI card.

If I understand this correctly: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/tape-backup.html then there is only one way to connect the drive, we have to put the SCSI Card into the Proxmox Backup Server? And it isn't possible for example like Veeam does it, to install an "agent" on the server that has connection (SCSI-Card) to the drive?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

for the proxmox backup server to communicate with the tape library, it must see it as a scsi device.

afaics this: https://www.quantum.com/en/products/tape-storage/scalar-i3/ is the library?
this says that the drive connection is done via fibre channel or sas, so using an hba for either should be the way to go

where is it connected currently?

We are currently using the Quantum Scalar i3 over SAS. Installed on a Hyper-V. And the Hyper-V has a Veeam Agent, not the full Veeam installation. Veeam is just a VM on a different Hyper-V.

OK, so we would need to install the SAS- or fibre channel card directly on the Proxmox Backup Server. PBX will run physically installed.

Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!