Tape backup to select specific folder from datastore

mdarwish

Aug 7, 2024
Hi All

I'm trying to take backup to tape using regex to take backup for a specific folder not the entire host
the available filter option is through Group Filter as per the below picture
for example If I choose Regex then past the select folder on it
but it seems the filter is not working and show 0 selected group once I run the backup

how would it be possible to take backup for selected items only?

1724242348920.png1724242461259.png

TLDR: Use the --backup-id option when invoking proxmox-backup-client.

See Terminology for Backup Type, ID, Group and Snapshot:
  • Type: Options are only "vm", "ct" and "host"
  • ID: "host type backups normally use the hostname." -> This is the "storage-2" part that you see
  • Group: <type>/<id> -> type is "host"
  • Snapshot: <type>/<ID>/<time>
The Regex only matches against the group, i.e., <type>/<id>. So if you specify a custom ID using proxmox-backup-client --backup-id id_for_my_backup, then they are put into individual groups, letting you select them using the Regex.

Code:
$ man proxmox-backup-client
       --backup-id <string>
              Backup ID.

Giving the backups individual IDs has the additional benefit that you can see them in the Tape inventory; so you can find out what contents of a specific host a tape contains without loading its data back into the datastore, where you can see the created archive files.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!