Tape Backup Allocation and Retention Time (probably logical error)

Feb 1, 2024
Hello,
I currently have a Problem, that my Monthly Tapes dont expire, as i expect them to do.
My Media Pool has the Following Allocation Policy:
*-2,3,5,6,8,9,11,12-1 00:00

I want to keep the Backups atleast 2 Months. So my Retention Policy is set to 2 Months.

I now have a Tape from the 1st of June, which in my expectation should be expired. Atm it still reads full. I played with the Retention policy and it changes to expired if i do a Retention Policy of 27 Days.

I assume i got my understanding for the Allocation and Retention policy wrong, but i for now i cant get my head around it.

why backup Job has the following configuration:
Schedule:
*-2,3,5,6,8,9,11,12-1 02:01
1724839218477.png

and a second one thats starts a day later for the same set:
Schedule:
*-2,3,5,6,8,9,11,12-2 10:00
1724839264921.png

maybe the missing bit is this here (from the documentation) :
Retention period starts on the creation time of the next media-set or, if that does not exist, when the calendar event next triggers after the current media-set start time.

so if you set the retention to 2 months, it should start to count from when there is a newer media set, or from when there would be a newer media set

So my current schedule should be good for 3 Months, right? But then i dont get why my 1st of June Backup still is not marked expired.
Okay, i think i get it now. The Retention-time only starts, when a new Media set is startet/would be startet. Because i have a Quarterly in between my Monthlys the Retention-Time just starts a month later. Because a Quarterly was written in July, the 2 Months start counting on the first of August, right?

I thought it would start at write time and only added the Allocation time to the next period to the Retention time.

Last edited:
So my current schedule should be good for 3 Months, right? But then i dont get why my 1st of June Backup still is not marked expired.
because the next media-set either starts on 2024-08-01 00:00/02:01/ 2024-08-02 10:00 (according to you schedule/allocation policy) and that's the time we're start counting -> ~ 27days

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!