System will not boot without nomodeset parameter, and cannot seem to passthrough my Intel GPU for Quicksync

shreezbot

Aug 29, 2023
I believe these issues to be related. I replaced my motherboard after a failure, and since I've installed the new motherboard, I cannot get the system to start up without nomodeset being set in the GRUB options. My grub looks like the following (I'm trying deperately to passthrough my Intel iGPU to allow Plex to use Quicksync):

Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet i915.force_probe=4680 intel_iommu=on iommu=pt i915.enable_gvt=1 drm.debug=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Configured like this, the system gets to a screen that shows:

Code:
/dev/mapper/pve-root: clean,50860/6291456 files, 1944912/25165824 blocks

as the last line and then freezes solid. I can reboot the machine, do an 'e' on the default GRUB option, and add the nomodeset parameter to the boot options after drm.debug=0, and it system will boot up just fine, but I still cannot seem to access my Intel Igpu i915 driver functions so that I can passthrough Quicksync to my VM.

I have the following in my /etc/modules:

Code:
# Modules required for PCI passthrough
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

# Modules required for Intel GVT
kvmgt
xengt
vfio-mdev

If I attempt to list /dev/dri, I get the following:

Code:
root@helium:~# ls -lah /dev/dri
ls: cannot access '/dev/dri': No such file or directory

Which would seem to indicate taht the intel GPU isn't working properly. I installed vainfo to see if it gives anything useful, but I just get the following:

Code:
root@helium:~# vainfo
error: can't connect to X server!
error: failed to initialize display

Any thoughts on what I can do to get my system to where it can boot up without nomodeset and where I can passthrough my Intel GPU and enable Quicksync in Plex.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of repair or rebuild that will cause Proxmox to re-detect hardware and things like that? I feel like there is something related to my old motherboard that is conflicting with the new one, and Proxmox can't see my hardware.

If not, I'm starting to feel like my only option might be to back up my VMs and re-install the host OS from scratch.

It might be that your initramfs is missing some modules that are needed on the new hardware. Try updating your initramfs:
Code:
update-initramfs -k all -u

I issued the above command, and it seemed to work correctly.

I removed nomodeset from the grub startup options and rebooted and it still freezes at the same point. Doing an 'e' on it at the grub menu and adding nomodeset back is the only way that I'm able to get my host OS to start up.

Do you have the xserver-xorg-video-intel package installed?
Check by running: apt list xserver-xorg-video-intel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!