Synchronization over latency links - parallel fetches?

hvisage

Renowned Member
May 21, 2013
I have a case where the latency for a cross continent synchronization, is being slowed down by the "small" requests from the pulling PBS. If I start up multiple synchronization jobs for multiple backups groups, I do get the full (expected) bandwidth, but when it's "stuck" on a single group's synchonization, it slows down as the plethora of serialized HTTPS:// requests takes time over the latency link to ramp up, and never reach full speed.

Q1: Is there a setting somewhere in the configs etc. to make a single group be doing multiple requests in parallel for it's blocks to pull down?

Q2a: is there a need for something like this from others before I log a feature request?

Q2b: IS this something that would be easy to implement in the back-end, or would it be infeasible?

The problem I am experiencing, is not the daily synchronizations, but when there had been a network outage or other problems, the synchronization takes very long to catch up without intervention if at all and the only reason is the serialized HTTPS:// requests, not the available bandwidth nor the actual backup sizes

Q1: Is there a setting somewhere in the configs etc. to make a single group be doing multiple requests in parallel for it's blocks to pull down?
no there is such setting, but you could do multiple parallel sync jobs?

Q2a: is there a need for something like this from others before I log a feature request?
no you can just open a feature request here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com no promises if it will be implemented

Q2b: IS this something that would be easy to implement in the back-end, or would it be infeasible?
without looking more closely at the code, it is hard to say. best to open a feature request first, maybe someone else has more insight currently

no there is such setting, but you could do multiple parallel sync jobs?
That is/has been the "solution" to assist in catching up, but it becomes.... tedious to load/create them all. But then it gets stuck with the single big DB which is then single synchronous thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!