SWAP USAGE 100% WITH 20% AVAIL RAM

proxmoxniggaz

Jan 26, 2020
I am having aNn issue. 4 identically configured servers running identical tasks yet one of the servers is at just 80% of Ram usage with 50gb free yet 100% of SWAP USAGE configured at 8gb.

What precisely do I do to fix this as I am not well schooled on using command line other than how to open it.

This is not an issue. When SWAP is available it will be used, for various reasons (eg. loaded but unused program code).

I reset the swappiness to ZERO and yet the SWAP % is still 100% and shows as 8GB of 8GB use vs allocation.
Is this a mistake? Or, I can basically ignore this and it wont cause any issues to my server (i.e., crashes, auto reboots, etc.)?

It would not be a sing of underlying hardware problems?

I just am curious since I have 4 of these identically configured servers running the same tasks and only this one is at 100% whilst other are at 50%, 6%, 11%

Out-of-memory can cause issues like killed VMs or server reboots. Not alone the usage of SWAP.

It would not be a sing of underlying hardware problems?
Not really. But that's why there is dmesg. ;)

I just am curious since I have 4 of these identically configured servers running the same tasks and only this one is at 100% whilst other are at 50%, 6%, 11%
They are obviously not running the same workload. Best rebalance the load onto the other servers.

whats DMESG?

They are actually running identical tasks (in fact less of a load than the other servers with less swap usage).

Should I put the swappiness back to 60 from 0? Or, does it matter?

Can the 100% swap hurt my ssd?

I don't even know or understand what the hell Swapping is :p ;)
I thought of wife swapping when I first saw it and some of the posts on it.

If I want to reduce the SWAP Usage should changing the number from 60 to 0 have helped as its changed nothing?

where would i find DMESG from the console? thanks again!

I don't even know or understand what the hell Swapping is :p ;)
I thought of wife swapping when I first saw it and some of the posts on it.
that provides more trouble :p

If I want to reduce the SWAP Usage should changing the number from 60 to 0 have helped as its changed nothing?
See this article for some more explanation.
https://chrisdown.name/2018/01/02/in-defence-of-swap.html

where would i find DMESG from the console? thanks again!
man dmesg, just type and execute it (man = documentation).

If I reboot the server after changing the swapiness from 60 to 0 will this make a difference?
In what context? A reboot frees all the resources used.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!