Suggestions

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
I am looking to upgrade my cluster communication/DRBD from 1GB connections to 10GB connections. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this without losing anything important?

Here is what I am thinking.

1. Move VM's to node 2
1a. Install 10GB card
2. Move VM to node 1
2a. Install 10GB card
3. Setup Networking
4. Remove node 2 from the cluster
5. Add node 2 back to the cluster using the 10GB adapter address
6. Check cluster (pvecm status/pvecm nodes)
7. Edit /etc/drbd.d/r0.res and /etc/drbd.d/r1.res to reflect new network
8. Restart DRBD

I am thinking DRBD should be as simple as just changing the config files and issuing "drbdadm adjust all". Hopefully this doesn't cause a split brain, I am guessing it would be best to have all VM's on 1 node at all times during the upgrade just in case.

I'm also a bit confused on setting cluster communication back up. If I simply remove node 2 from the cluster, then add it back in using the new 10GB network does anything have to be done with node 1? Looks like I need to change /etc/hosts on each node to match the new interface. Can anyone confirm, does cluster communication need to be on eth0/vmbr0, or can it be on any adapter (eth7/vmbr7)?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!