[SOLVED] Stuck at initramfs prompt after editing etc/kernel/cmdline

dmchart

Jul 12, 2024
So i had been trying to organise the GPU Passthrougth to try and use it for Jellyfin
I had setup Jellyfin through Truenas.
I have a Lenovo P520 Server setup as my home lab, been running fine for 18 months.
Have True Nas and a Win10 VM setup working fine.

I am pretty sure this is what is causing my issue now as this is the last thing i did
A guide said to do this
nano /etc/kernal/cmdline

root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs

when it rebooted it now just goes to the initramfs prompt and doesn't boot into Proxmox

is there anyway to clear the kernel from the this cmd prompt?

or something else I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello @dmchart and welcome to proxmox forum.
So i had been trying to organise the GPU Passthrougth to try and use it for Jellyfin
I had setup Jellyfin through Truenas.
Please tell us how to you build your system. What Proxmox Version do you use?
Code:
pveversion -v

Which HowTo did you follow?

is there anyway to clear the kernel from the this cmd prompt?
or something else I can do to fix it?

This kernel CMD is the default for ZFS on Rpool on Proxmox. So what to you have edit exactly? And do you installed your system with ZFS, or with an other filesystem?

@the bootload you can press "e" for edit, after you can override the kernel cmd.

thanks for the reply
i was running proxmox 7.4
at the moment all i can access is the busybox ( initramfs )
when i use cat /proc/cmdline the following appears
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\1.15.102-1-pve\initrd.img-5.15.102-1-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-i boot=zfs

was mainly following this one https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough
and after that didn't work for me looked other ones which suggested adding this

nano /etc/kernal/cmdline

root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs

I am assuming this stuffed me up because i had restarted this before this and was rebooting fine.

basically at the moment i am stuck at the initramfs cmdline atm

Have 2 x 256Gb SSD in Raid for boot drive
have 5 x 12Tb HDD in Raid for storage

thanks very much for replying, very appreciatvie.
I have stuffed up by not also do any backups of the proxmox atm :(

@the bootload you can press "e" for edit, after you can override the kernel cmd.
i did edit and delete the thing i thought i edited ,it did have it in there, it continued to boot but still came back to the command prompt for initramfs

any other options?

i only had 2 VM's i want to restore ( without backup )

I have installed proxmox on a new drive and booted in.

problem solved
was a typo on my behalf..
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\1.15.102-1-pve\initrd.img-5.15.102-1-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-i boot=zfs
pve-i should be pve-1
Thanks for the initial help

Reactions: fireon
problem solved
was a typo on my behalf..
pve-i should be pve-1
Thanks for the initial help
It works now, perfect :) :cool:
Please be so kind and mark the thread as solved. To do this, simply edit your first post and set the flag at the front. Thanks.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!