strange issue trying to clone the boot disk

cholzer

Nov 5, 2021
My boot disk is a single WD Red SN700 250GB

Now that I have everything setup and ocnfigured, I'd like to create a 1:1 clone of my boot disk.
For that purpose I bought a 2nd WD Red SN700 250GB

So I though I just put both in a 2nd system, boot the minitool partition wizard from the thumb drive and simply clone the disk.

But that cloned disk isnt working correctly. When I boot Proxmox with that drive then Proxmox does not find the ZFS pool storage. o_O
If I put the other ssd into the system then everything works just fine.

Anyone an idea why the cloned drive isnt working in my case? :)

Now that I have everything setup and ocnfigured, I'd like to create a 1:1 clone of my boot disk.
For that purpose I bought a 2nd WD Red SN700 250GB
What is your goal with it, or what do you want to achieve with it?

Reactions: cholzer
What is your goal with it, or what do you want to achieve with it?
In case that the current SSD dies, I want to be able to just throw in the clone to get the system back up in a matter of minutes.

I am honestly scared of doing a clean Proxmox install and then trying to manually restore the config (I have also exported the required config files/folders as described on the forums).

I really hope that PVE will eventually get a simple backup/restore function like TrueNas Core provides, where after a clean install I just have to import a single config backupfile to restore the system. :)

In case that the current SSD dies, I want to be able to just throw in the clone to get the system back up in a matter of minutes.
There are more elegant options. You could use a raid. Hardware Raid or a ZFS raid.

I am honestly scared of doing a clean Proxmox install and then trying to manually restore the config (I have also exported the required config files/folders as described on the forums).
It is best to back up the entire /etc and /root so that you have everything you need for a new installation. Individual files can then be retrieved from the backup.
The whole thing is just a matter of finding out what you REALLY need and storing it in the new setup. For example the network configuration under "/etc/network/interfaces", or VM-configs under "/etc/pve/qemu-server".

If you really would like to clone the whole disk 1:1, you can use dd.

Reactions: cholzer
You could use a raid.
Coming from ESXi that seemed overkill to me when I built the system as on the boot disk I only have the OS/PVE. no VMs, no LXC, no nothing . :)

The pool where VMs/LXC are hosted is a 4wide Z1 - with daily backups to an external NAS. I do take that quite seriously.

What I did not quite understand/consider at the time I built the system was the process of restoring PVE after a boot disk fault. So while I do have the required files backed up (to an external NAS by a cron job using the script found in the forum), I want an addional resuce plan in the form of that cloned drive.

I will take a look at doing that with DD in a safe way.

I really hope that PVE will get a "restore from backup" solution in the near future. This seems to be one of the most wanted features. :)

Thank you for speedy replies!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!