Store four (4) "Mondays" on a single Monday tape... and so on.

mindmachine

Mar 10, 2021
We have a tape for each day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc.) and use a single LTO-6 drive.
I've set up media pools for each day (Monday, Tuesday, and so on).

The size of the CT being backed up is roughly 250GB. I aim to restore the entire CT from a single tape in the event of a disaster.

I want to ideally store at least four (4) "Mondays" on each Monday tape, four "Tuesdays" on the Tuesday tape, four "Wednesdays" on the Wednesday tape, and so on.

Is this possible and is it accomplished by setting the Retention period to 4 weeks?

I am slightly confused by the Allocation Policy vs Retention Policy. I have the Allocation Policy set to 01:30 (Daily), but my confusion stems from the option of "Continue" and "Always" as I interpret the allocation policy to be when or how often to back up a data store.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!