storage size mismatch

tskubel

Apr 18, 2024
Hello all,

First time poster, I have worked with ProxMox a little in a home environment but I am testing/implementing for work in light of recent events......

As I install and configure these hosts I have added a larger storage array so my first two drives are a mirror, only used for Proxmox and ISOs (two 128GB drives)

Because I have no use for it, I have deleted LVM-Thin and incorporated it into LVM using these commands

1. lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/pve/root
  2. resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root
Everything has seemed fine, but when I look at storage by clicking on the node and then 'LVM' it shows this disk is full. But if I click on local in the navigation pane on the left, it appears normal and reports the expected amount of space used.

So I was wondering if maybe I did something wrong or this was a problem from a recent patch (I am fully patched at 8.2.4). I feel strongly that is recent weeks these two screens have matched and this is a recent development, but with many other things going on I can't say for sure.

I have done this same thing on 3 hosts and they all show the same way.

Thanks for any help that can be provided,

Tom

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-20 142812.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-20 142812.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-06-20 142940.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-20 142940.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 7
Hello,

The difference is probably due to the space allocated for the swap partition.
To check this please show us the output of the below commands :
- vgs
- lvs

Have a nice day,

Reactions: justinclift
Thanks for fast and clear reply,

This confirm the hypothesis :
- look at the VG column of lvs output -> this is the name of the VG to which the LV belongs
- the 2 LV's of VG "pve" have a total size of 110.2 + 8 = 118.2 -> the size of the whole VG "pve" as shown by vgs (with 0 GB free aka unallocated)
- swap account for 8 GiB in this case

May I suggest you change the tittle to something like "Storage size mismatch" and put the solved flag to your first post ?

Have a nice day,

EDIT: also "lvresize" have a "-r" aka "--resizefs" flag that will resize the FS in one command

Last edited:
I would be happy to do that, first could you please confirm.
  1. That space isn't actually in use, it is just allocated?
  2. Is this a problem? If so, how do I correct it?
  3. Have I configured something wrong and need to fix it?

I don't want to deploy these to any sort of production and have them fail at a later time.

The space for LV's "root" and "swap" is allocated AND in use. This means PVE have access to it and can "fill it" if you upload as much ISO as it can eat or the system have to swap that much ...

There is no "technical" problem here, although I may point some form of "storage strategy" to investigate on your side like for example :
- having a shared storage for ISO so all future PVE can access to ISO's without copying needed ISO's to each PVE when needed
- having a shared storage for the VM's backups
- having a shared storage for VM themselves to easily migrate them from node to other node for maintenance reason / HA
- not allocating all LVM space hence you always have some "spare space" for tests
- segregating prod and test VM's so if you make some bad operations that fills the space with a test VM it does not prevent prod VM's to continue to run
- and so much more possible scenarios based on your needs ...

Also please note that AFAIK the WebUI of PVE (tend to) use only GB (power of 1000) for sizes where commands like "lvs" count in GiB (power of 1024). If you also take care of the fact that "lvs" show the raw space of the partition versus the space taken by formating (size of inodes, reserved space) this roughly equal the net size (in GB) shown in the WebUI for the "local" storage.

Have a nice day,

I don't know that I have been totally clear. Or maybe I am just misunderstanding the answer.

The drive that Proxmox is installed on, only had one other thing and that is 1 ISO file that is 5.8GB. So as it shows in the first screen shot in my original post, there is not that much on the drive.

Why is the other view showing the drive is completely full?
Is there a way to make them report the same storage?

Hello,

By definition the answer is simply NO :
- Logical Volumes in LVM is similar to partitions
- the second screenshot - in summary - show how much % of _drive_space_ is taken by all the "partitions"
- the first screenshot show how much % of _partition_space_ is taken by the files in the "local" "partition"

Hope it helps,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!