Storage question

Oct 9, 2024
First, I am new to Proxmox; I come from the VMware side. We are leaving our VMware environment due to cost. We have a test environment setup where we will have 2 physical nodes with a truenas core device as storage. I have added an ISCSI target to the first node, but I can't seem to create a folder on that for ISO's. Is iscsi the best way to go? Should I look at NFS or ZFS. We would like to have 2 nodes in production when we are ready to migrate with shared storage and have the ability to move vm's from one to another as needed.

Thanks for your feed back.

Since your storage device is capable of providing both File/NFS and Block/iSCSI storage, you should use appropriate protocol for each purpose.
ISO are files - NFS
VM disks are block - iSCSI

The line is gray for VM disks, as you can use NFS there as well. However, for ISO you should stick to NFS.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!