Storage - iscsi configuration

jwang

Oct 3, 2024
I'm configuring Proxmox (PM) 8.2.2 with TrueNas (TNs) Scale 24.x It seems PM offers many options here and so I'm trying to find my way to what is recommended as well as potentially a sensible storage configuration.

1. I'm not sure which storage option to use with TNs iscsi. Storage on PM could be just "iscsi" (what I've configured now) or "zfs over iscsi." I tried to make zfs over iscsi work (there is a patch to do that) and failed - then noticed all/some aspect of this is "legacy" in the user-guide.
Is straight iscsi recommended here?

2. It seems I could configure storage on the TNs side so each zvol houses one vm. This seems to get very cluttered fast on the PM side. Alternatively, a large zvol could be shared with LVM on PM between multiple VMs. This seems less cluttered and recommended elsewhere in the forums.

However, I see the PM guide states,
  • On block level storage, the underlying storage layer provides block devices (similar to actual disks) which are used for disk images. Functionality like snapshots are provided by the storage layer itself. Examples: ZFS, Ceph RBD, thin LVM, …
So it seems with a large zvol I give up granular control over snapshots at the VM level?
Just to add to my confusion - each vm on the PM side has a snapshot option.

What might be a sound approach here and how are snapshots best managed?

I may have missed something here? I'd appreciate a bit of input particularly on how to bring the storage in from TNs.
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!