Storage Configuration Help

Myk Robinson

Dec 8, 2016
Rookie question ahead:

I have never heard of ProxMox before a few days ago. I had a blade that was used as a Replibit vault previously, figured i'd give this a try. I installed the OS without issue. I have plenty of storage space on the server, but am missing something with regards to configuring.

I did NOT setup a RAID before installing, as Replibit used ZFS and the drives were configured as JBOD. At this stage, do I need to start over and create a RAID in order to utilize the space? Or what can I do to all drive sdb - sdh to be used for VMs, ISO storage, etc?

AMjaufR.png

As far as hypervisors go, I have some experience with ESXi and Hyper-V, but in those scenarios, your drives must be configured first.

Any pointers or links to the appropriate section of the manual would be helpful.

Thanks

I installed Proxmox with only the main SSD installed then add 2 2TB drives after and added them into the system using lvm and ext4 and then added them into PVE with directory storage type under Data centre -> Storage

If you are familiar with ZFS, why not use ZFS? The default Proxmox installation includes all zfs tools.
I can't say I am intimately acquianted with it. We use it with all our Replibit appliances but there is a GUI for setting up the storage array. I can create the array in the shell, but am just making sure I am not missing a slightly more obvious method through the GUI to define the storage pool I want for VMs. During installation, it asked where I wanted to install ProxMox, and I selected /dev/sda, assuming that later down the road, I would be able to create a separate volume for the VMs.

I'll get it figured out, guess I need to digest this manual a bit, which admittedly I have not read ;) Just playing with it at the moment to see what it's all about.

So, let's assume I create a zfs pool in the shell, I will still need to figure out how to present this volume to ProxMox, I assume. Lemme do some reading and get back.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!