Status check query: USB HDD pass throught to KVM VMs

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, a quick question - was curious if anyone can comment on current status:experience for this:

In the past I had tried to setup USB passthrough on a KVM based windows server 2003 VM running on ProxVE 1.8 or so (ie, that was the latest-current version at the time of ProxVE). The idea was to use the USB drive as a backup storage target which could easily be taken offsite / as part of a rotating pool of USB drives for making basic backups (once weekly full with incrementals all other nights; rotating the drives once per week)

At the time, the general endgame of the test: USB passthrough was "OK" for low-data-intensity stuff like USB security dongles (ie hardware license dongle) but less good for anything that did more serious data transfer (ie, hard drive running 'saturated USB data transfer connection'). In general the outcome was that the USB drive was visible via passthrough to the guest OS, but that any significant data transfer (ie, more than a few megs) would result in hard panic crash of the KVM guest. It may even have blown up the entire ProxVE host/kernel; I forget. (alas my memory when I don't write things down!)

Anyhow. Just curious if things have changed in the last ~year or more / and with the release of ProxVE 2.X series / and presuably we are on newer versions of KVM which might have changed behaviour.

Many thanks for any comments:eek:bservations:real world use stories :)

Tim

I can't help you with USB, but I use eSATA to do what you want. I prefer HD Docks, they are cheap and most come with a eSATA port and cable.

Very nice - so - just to confirm, you can reliably do ESata pass through to the guest VM and performance is decent, no issues ? (it supports hot add:remove of devices ?)

Thanks,

Tim

I'm reliably backing up a 2008 R2 DC every night, no issues. I've never tried a hot swap.... that would be Proxmox dependant. You probably need to do a manual unmount/mount of the disk on your Proxmox server, or maybe if you're using AHCI on your controller it will automagically work?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!