Static IPv6 address for vmbr2 bridge only works after I do ifup vmbr2

reckless

Feb 5, 2019
So I set a static IPv6 address (Unique Local Address) for my vmbr2 bridge and set the default gateway to my router's Link-Local Address.
Everything works just fine, but after a reboot of the Proxmox nodem the IPv6 address ONLY works after I do "ifup vmbr2". It won't come up automatically like IPv4 static addresses do. Why is this, and how can I make the IPv6 address come up automatically without issueing this extra command after a reboot?

Here's /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
auto enp67s0
iface enp67s0 inet manual
        mtu 9000

auto enp67s0d1
iface enp67s0d1 inet manual
        mtu 9000

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves enp67s0 enp67s0d1
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode 802.3ad
        bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3
        mtu 9000

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.3.3/24
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        mtu 9000

iface vmbr2 inet6 static
        address fdac:0992:3af9::aca/64
        gateway fe80::feec:daff:fed6:617f
        netmask 64

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno2
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

do you have tried t remove "netmask 64" , as you already defined /64 on address ?

also, another way, if you use ifupdow2, it's possible to define both ipv4 && ipv6 on same interface.
It's not supported yet by proxmox gui, but you edit manually /etc/network/interfaces like:

Code:
auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2
        address 192.168.1.2/24
        address fdac:0992:3af9::aca/64
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        gateway fe80::feec:daff:fed6:617f
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        mtu 9000

That's a good idea, I just did and it entered ifup vmbr2. Seems to work fine for now, but for some reason I can't ping vmbr2's address from an LXC container connected to that same bridge, UNTIL I ping that container from the Proxmox host. I don't understand why...
For ease, I assigned all these static IP addresses:
Proxmox host vmbr2 IPv6 address: fdac::a
LXC container (connected to vmbr2): fdac::bb
Windows 10 workstation PC: fdac::ccc

From the Windows workstation I can ping both the Proxmox host (vmbr2 IPv6 address) as well as the LXC container.
From the LXC container I can ping my Windows workstation, but when I ping the Proxmox host (vmbr2) it fails over and over again with this error message: Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

But then, I ping the LXC from the Proxmox host, and it works... then I try the reverse and ping the Proxmox host from the LXC container and now it suddenly works... Why is this? It doesn't make any sense and I don't have these issues with IPv4.

Last edited:
I don't believe that's correct spirit. fdac::a is the same address as fdac:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:000a. In A /64 mask, the bold part is the network portion and the rest of the address is the host portion. This is a completely valid ULA. Obviously it's simplied because it's a small network where we're doing the initial testing, but it should work exactly the same as a randomized 128 bit IPv6 address due to it being a ULA.

For GUAs (Global Unicast Addresses) my example would never work as they're more unique and need to be globally routed (thus the need to be unique), but this is a ULA subnet that will not leave this network amd will never be globally routable, and thus I am using ULA (Unique Local Addresses) which are a (RFC assigned) fd00::/8 range. Therefore fdac::a/64 should be a perfectly fine local address, just like 10.0.0.0/14 or 10.0.0.0/27 is.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!