[SOLVED] Start VMs after backups ends

Carlos34

Nov 23, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have a home lab that I shut down each night. The server is set to boot at 8:00 AM.

I have a backup job scheduled to run at the same time, and it's working as expected. However, I've noticed that all my virtual machines (VMs) start simultaneously. I believe it would be more efficient if they waited for the backup to complete before booting.

As a workaround, I've configured the pfSense VM with a start order of 1 and a 20-minute wait. This allows the backup to finish before the other VMs begin booting.

Is there a way to make all my VMs wait for the backup job to finish before starting the boot process?

Thank you for your help!

Not working :(

Max node start delay is 300 secs and backups requires 40 minutes.

I have tried to do this:

- Server auto switch-on at 9:00
- Node start delay 300
- I have configured a VM with Start order 1 and Startup Delay 2400
- Backup is scheduled at 9:10

The idea was to start a VM and give time to Backup to finish, but the backup doesn't start until after "Startup Delay" of 2400. In that momento (9:45), the VMs and Backup start at same time.

I'm going to put the backup job in the cron manually and tomorrow will tell you what happened.

I can confirm that Backup jobs start after Bulk start VMs, so, the Node Start Delay and VMs Startup Delay are useless.
I have to create manually a cron job

Now, Server starts at 9:00 and the cron job starts at 9:03.
The backup (vzdump) always starts by the VM with the smaller number, it doesn't matter the order you put them in the command line.

- Server auto switch-on at 9:00
- Cron job starts at 09:03
- Node start delay 300. In that time, the 1st VM has been backed up.
- 1st VM to start has to be the one with smallest ID number, because that was the 1st being backed up. I set a Startup Delay 1680. It's the time required to backup all the VMs

Regards
Carlos

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!