SSH and web GUI not working

Labbetus

Apr 6, 2021
Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie so please bear with me... :)

I'm running a local Proxmox server where all config is pretty much standard out of the box, and a few days ago i noticed both web gui and ssh had stopped working.

What I've noticed so far:
- I'm not able to SSH from my PC to Proxmox (connection refused)
- I'm not able to open the Proxmos gui from my PC
- I'm able to ping both ways
- I'm able to connect to my Proxmox VM's and LXC's (both via ssh and gui)
- On the Prox server I'm able to ssh localhost.
- I'm able to ssh from a LXC to Proxmox
- I've ran apt update and apt upgrade on Prox
- I've tried turning off the Proxmox firewall.
- I do not see the failed ssh connection attempts in /var/log/auth.log

When trying to connect to Prox from my pc:
Code:
xxxg@plex:~$ ssh -vvv xxx@192.168.1.11
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n  7 Dec 2017
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
debug2: resolving "192.168.1.11" port 22
debug2: ssh_connect_direct: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.11 [192.168.1.11] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.11 port 22: Connection refused
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.11 port 22: Connection refused

Code:
sudo systemctl list-units --failed
0 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

Any ideas?

Did the host maybe reject the connection because of the OpenSSH version? Are you able to update it?

Hmm, I've done apt update && apt dist-upgrade on the server and apt update on the clients. I belive that should be good enough?

When i do systemctl status 'pve*' i get a failure on pvenetcommit.service but i can't tell if it's relevant:
Code:
pvenetcommit.service - Commit Proxmox VE network changes
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pvenetcommit.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Tue 2021-04-06 20:20:20 CEST; 2h 10min ago
  Process: 1304 ExecStartPre=/bin/rm -f /etc/openvswitch/conf.db (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1312 ExecStartPre=/bin/mv /etc/network/interfaces.new /etc/network/interfaces (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 1320 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 1320 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

systemctl restart pveproxy.service did not solve it.

So did you change the network layout? That might indeed be the cause of the trouble. I'd either do a systemctl restart networking or reboot to be sure.

I've tried rebooting, I'm a Windows dude after all.. :p

The server and clients are connected to the same switch, and the only change I've made is replacing the modem a couple of weeks ago. I think it has worked since but I can't be sure.

This doesn't really make sense to me since I'm able to connect to the linux containers on the server.

If every other host/container works, I would say the problem is within your pc. I saw that it's a bionic, so not nearly old enough to be causing compatibility problems. But still, there has to be something. Can you try another pc or maybe the same but with Putty under Windows?

I've tried from two different pc's. :)
It just seems like the server is rejecting any connection that isn't coming from itself...

I've set a static ip address, everything else should be stock.

And remember, the web gui stopped working at the same time.

Aye:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.11
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge_ports enp3s0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

So i pulled the network cable from the server and i can still ping 192.168.1.11.... good grief.

Thanks for talking me through this phox, I just have to find out which device has grabbed that ip... :)

Looks like a different device occupies the server's IP. Try to reboot your PC, then ping the IP again and arp -a afterwards to find the MAC of the offending device.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!