SPICE for Proxmox VE (pvetest)

So, as of right now, there is no way to boot into a Spice Windows VDI?
Is there a way to boot into a minimal Linux, autostart FireFox into VDI (password parsed)?

I have sent a small bash script to this thread to get the ticket and connect remote-viewer to the vdi. (no browser is needed).

Hi,

i made the pvetest update/upgrade but can't find the splice-seetings (as shown in the wiki). What did i wrong?

Thanks!

try to clear your browser cache?

can you choose qxl/spice as video card ?

already done.

No, i can't choose this video card.

My Proxmox Version shown on the webGUI: 3.0-23/957f0862

Ok, i looked at the install-log: "The following packages have been kept back"..."proxmox-ve-2.6.32 pve-manager pve-qemu-kvm"

whats wrong there?

Edit:

I did it with aptitude... now it works fine!

Last edited:
Try to install in your vm "apt-get install spice-vdagent"

Also I'm not sure, but maybe Unity can have a performance impact. (or compositing in general). Do you try with another desktop to compare ? (xfce ?).
I known that a kms driver is available since kernel 3.10, and a mesa gallium driver should come soon, maybe it'll improve 3d performance and maybe compositing too ?
I don't have tested spice under linux yet, but on windows guest it's very fast. (video too).

Thank you Spirit for your suggestion! I installed the spice-vdagent in Ubuntu VM and that seem to improve performance although not significantly but better. Then i tried XFCE desktop manager and my Ubuntu really seem to come to life with speed. :) Way faster than Ubuntu default Compiz. Even youtube video runs like it is running on local desktop. Although there is a little buffer issue. It waits for the buffer more than usual few seconds then plays the entire buffer then buffers again. This might be due to the fact that i am logging into Ubuntu remotely through spice which is hosted in a remote Proxmox cluster where all the VMs are hosted on CEPH storage cluster.

But overall though, the performance is acceptable i should say.

sorry to pick this topic up but I want to know what role a user needs to trigger Spice sessions by script without Proxmox webinterface? I have a bad feeling about providing root Username and Pass in the script and want to create a special User for that with lowest possible privileges. For any help I am very grateful.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!