Spice Dual/Multiple Screen can't be enabled

someone755

Oct 8, 2019
Hello!

Recently I installed another instance of PVE on "new" server and soon after that I created VM. I installed Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and as always selected SPICE dual screen option for display. Along that I also enabled Qemu Agent and installed package `qemu-guest-agent` inside VM. However after the whole procedure I still only have single display option in client under the view section, even though the resolution of current display is correctly recognized in VM.

pve_spice_client.png

I created few VMs and installed latest versions of different distributions (Lubuntu, Manjaro XFCE, ...), but there was not a single VM that would show me multiple display options in client. Back when I installed my first VM and enabled Spice I remember the same problem, but it was probably because I did the minimal OS install in VM and after installing `spice-vdagent` I think this started to work. As I checked all installations I did already had that package present after first boot (and the agent service was active as copy/paste and screen resolution recognition worked out of the box). On the second install of Xubuntu on that node I don't remember that I was installing anything special to enable multi screen view for Spice.

I also noticed there were some updates for Spice included in latest revision of PVE - that node is running on 6.0-11 with updates from community repos. The initial version after install & update was 6.0-9 if I remember correctly. Is it possible there were some changes that may affect my installation and Spice feature?

---

Since it's the same topic, I also came across something very interesting while installed that much distros and VMs. Once I enabled Spice dual screen before I did install of Xubuntu. After everything installed and first reboot I got auto resizing screen feature which is available on Windows with installed drivers. The difference I seen in Arandr when using my other VMs where I manually set resolution and the one I just installed is that my old ones have screen named Virtual-0 (where 0 is number of display) and the new one has screen named QXL-0 (probably 0 is also number of display - couldn't test out). What should be installed/changed on my older VMs to get this feature working?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is not the expected behavior. I can reproduce this and am investigating.

There is a patch out for review right now [0].

If you need to fix this ASAP you can run qm showcmd <vmID> --pretty to get the command line string to start the VM in Qemu. There is a line that should look like
Code:
-device 'qxl-vga,id=vga,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1' \
Maybe you have more in there, for example, if you increased the memory.
Add a new parameter called max_outputs=4, like
Code:
-device 'qxl-vga,id=vga,max_outputs=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1' \
and then start the VM by running that whole command on the CLI. You should be able to enable up to 4 displays again.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2019-November/040461.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!