Spice client closing automatically

Covy

Feb 28, 2023
I'm not sure when/how this started, but I've just been dealing with it. The problem is this:

When I go to Proxmox and click on Console > Spice to get to my VM (Any VM, but mostly Windows-based VMs) from my Windows 11 machine, it works like normal. But - sometimes those windows just close. If, for example, I take a dog for a walk for 25 minutes - I will come back and have to re-launch the spice client. This did not used to happen - so it is confusing to me. I have 4 monitors and have seen a client close while I'm working on something else on another monitor. So - it is not PC activity that seems to be at play. I'm only guessing that it is inactivity in the VM? The power settings in the VM seem to be never/never for 'turn off display' / 'Put the computer to sleep'. The Spice Guest Tools on the VM are 0.141, which appears to be the latest. I also have the same guest tools on my Windows 11 machine.

Has anyone seen this before? Was there maybe an update to the spice guest tools that created some sort of inactivity setting? Is there a log somewhere I can look at that might tell me why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Yea, please try to test opening other OS and if they also close, try other Spice clients
Loading Fedora now since I have no Linux VMs anymore (didn't port any over from ESXi). What other spice clients? I only use Console > Spice to open the spice client.

Verified that it happened on a Fedora VM also. I opened a Windows VM and a Linux VM (Fedora) with the spice client and the Fedora image just 'went away'. It is still running, though, and I just ran the spice client again without any issues.

I don't really know about windows, but there are multible SPICE clients on Linux. As this happens on every VM, another variable you could try to change is your SPICE clients, as it was the same in all instances.

I don't really know what other spice clients there are that would be decent. So far I just deal with having to re-launch. I just wish I knew what changed.

yeah, that is the one. The install is called spice-guest-tools-latest.exe, which is the one I used. The one there is the version I am running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!