"SPAM" Junk folder

ruifaria

Feb 12, 2021
Hello guys.

This is not a specific Proxmox question, but any help is appreciated.

I'm using Proxmox mailgateway as my frontend for postfix/dovecot (froxlor setup).
It does a magnificent job filtering SPAM messages, but some users prefer to see the messages in their SPAM folder.
Any sugestions on how to create a SPAM folder to all users and send messages marked as SPAM (on subject) to there?

PMG action rules allow to modify email subject with SPAM. Create/modify your spam detection rules to change the email subject.
For junk mail folder, I believe is not PMG's function. Use your email client to auto sort/filter email with SPAM subject to junk folder.

I have a related question. I don't like PMG or whichever proxy I'm using modifying the message. I'd rather have it add something like 'X-Spam: yes' or somesuch, and then I can have dovecot on the MTA file the email appropriately. Is it possible to tweak PMG to do this?

Thinking more on this, since it seems there is no sa_learn capability at this point, there isn't much point in trying to have the mails sorted into dovecot Junk folders, so I may as well leave PMG to quarantine them. I do want to remove the modification of the subject, since (IMO) that makes the false positive mails look ugly.

Last edited:
I have a related question. I don't like PMG or whichever proxy I'm using modifying the message. I'd rather have it add something like 'X-Spam: yes' or somesuch, and then I can have dovecot on the MTA file the email appropriately. Is it possible to tweak PMG to do this?
Check out the default Modify Header rule/action.

1620225707071.png

thanks for the reply. looking at my 6.4 config, the above rule is priority 90. Is yours modified? So, what I need to do?

Add a new Add Spam Tag (or something), and have it add this "X-Spam-Status: Yes". Also, disable/remove the invocation of "Modify Spam Subject" in the case of detected spam?

What I've done so far:

Removed the "Modify Spam Subject" action from the "Quarantine/Mark SPAM" action. I added a X-Spam-Flag with YES, as documentation. I decided not to apply a dovecot filter to put those messages in the Junk folder, sinde they would already have been in Quarantine, and the user releasing them would be confused/unhappy as to why they got put in Junk anyway. Make sense?

What I've done so far:

Removed the "Modify Spam Subject" action from the "Quarantine/Mark SPAM" action. I added a X-Spam-Flag with YES, as documentation. I decided not to apply a dovecot filter to put those messages in the Junk folder, sinde they would already have been in Quarantine, and the user releasing them would be confused/unhappy as to why they got put in Junk anyway. Make sense?
It is up to your own organization's policy on how to handle spam mails.
PMG is flexible enough to add/modify subject or mail field using mail filters.

It is up to your own organization's policy on how to handle spam mails.
PMG is flexible enough to add/modify subject or mail field using mail filters.

sure, understood. i was more asking from a point of view of 'is this correct'. again, thanks for input.

I found the following, which seems to solve the rest of my requirements. e.g.

1. disable quarantine.
2. have PMG flag spam emails as such.
3. have dovecot on MTA file these in inbox.
4. have user move such messages to JUNK folder for sa-learn via ssh.

I run roundcube as the webmail GUI, and there is a button to mark a message as spam (and another as not-spam). That would replace/complement the requirement to move messages to JUNK folder.

https://www.crc.id.au/2020/05/06/training-spamassassins-bayes-filter-with-proxmox-mail-gateway/

Last edited:
Reactions: hata_ph
I found the following, which seems to solve the rest of my requirements. e.g.

1. disable quarantine.
2. have PMG flag spam emails as such.
3. have dovecot on MTA file these in inbox.
4. have user move such messages to JUNK folder for sa-learn via ssh.

I run roundcube as the webmail GUI, and there is a button to mark a message as spam (and another as not-spam). That would replace/complement the requirement to move messages to JUNK folder.

https://www.crc.id.au/2020/05/06/training-spamassassins-bayes-filter-with-proxmox-mail-gateway/
It work if your end users is trained or tech savvy enough to handle their spam management.
If no just quarantine at PMG and let the IT admin to manage it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!