Sound and Screen in Proxmox

Duke-FL

Dec 18, 2023
Hello,
My first question is how can I get sound out of Proxmox?
I have Linux Mint in a vm and I have no sound.
When I check the sound settings in Linux Mint the option is a 'dummy' sound device.
I tried to add a audio device in Proxmox and all I get is QEMU errors.
Any thoughts?

The second question is how can I make the screen in Proxmox larger?
I have large black band on either side of the window I open.
It seem like playing a 4.3 video on a 16.9 TV.
Ideas?

Thank You,

I have Linux Mint in a vm and I have no sound.
When I check the sound settings in Linux Mint the option is a 'dummy' sound device.
Add a virtual audio device and use SPICE/qxl (this is required) as display. Open the VM console with SPICE and open the downloaded file with remote-viewer (or virt-viewer) from the client system.
I tried to add a audio device in Proxmox and all I get is QEMU errors.
It might help if you show us the actual errors, but usually people try to start the VM with a virtual audio device without SPICE/qxl for display.
The second question is how can I make the screen in Proxmox larger?
I have large black band on either side of the window I open.
It seem like playing a 4.3 video on a 16.9 TV.
Use SPICE from the VM display which should use xvideo-qxl inside the Linux VM automatically. And install the spice-vdagent inside the Linux VM, then copy&paste will also work.
Is this not in the manual or in the Wiki or impossible to search for? Honest question. I have not checked myself and it's sometimes only findable when you know exactly what to look for.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!