Sophos UTM 9.7 vm

David Thistlethwaite

May 14, 2019
I am using a sophos UTM 9.7 vm to filter web traffic and control internet access for my children and as of PVE 7.x, about 2 months now, the vms disk will become corrupted and cannot be booted from, with the message 'no boot device'.

Anyone else experience this behaviour with this type of vm ?

Thanks

yes I get this all the time and make certain I have both snapshots for immediate recovery and backups for long term recovery. I have tried many different configurations but not a methodic series of tests to determine what the issue is.

mhmm without any hint on what exactly happens, it's hard to say or help
maybe posting the current vm config and more info about your setup (e.g. hardware/storage/etc) can help

generally, if the disk content get corrupted, it's most probably an issue inside the guest (driver/software/etc) or with the storage itself (disks/cables/controllers/drivers/etc.)

mhmm without any hint on what exactly happens, it's hard to say or help
maybe posting the current vm config and more info about your setup (e.g. hardware/storage/etc) can help

generally, if the disk content get corrupted, it's most probably an issue inside the guest (driver/software/etc) or with the storage itself (disks/cables/controllers/drivers/etc.)
If it was the disks/cables/drivers then other vm's would experience the same issue and they do not.
Interestingly I decided to rebuild the sophos machine but now the UTM ver 9.7 cannot see the hardware are presented by proxmox, I will try different configs and report back

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!