[SOLVED] Tricky networking via OpenWRT in a VM

bogorad

Mar 21, 2023
Barcelona, Spain
bogorad.cat
Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. I'm getting a laptop with AMD7940hs, 64GiB RAM, etc.
2. I want to run Proxmox as a hypervisor, then add:
2.1. OpenWRT VM for routing (multiple VPNs, x-ray/v2ray, etc etc)
2.2. A Windows-11 VM for display/graphics/more, running an X11 client, and some Linux VMs for sensitive stuff.
3. I want all network access to be managed by the VM running OpenWRT. I will assign all Ethernet, as well as WiFi, hardware to it and let it manage everything, so Proxmox effectively won't have access to any real networking.
4. I will create a virtual bridge that all other VMs will use to access the network.
5. I will assign Proxmox a dummy address within my virtual LAN managed by OpenWRT.

Now for the question:

What do I need to do inside Proxmox to make it all work? Set up a firewall to block everything?

P.S. No, I don't want to use Qubes, I really hate it too much :)

UPD: Got my answer - I don't assign an IP address to vmbr0, assign an IP to vmbr9999 from the 'LAN' pool of my router, and set 'gateway' to the address of my router.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/18ra4td/comment/keztv55/?context=3

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!