[SOLVED] Slow torrenting on VM?

brafi

Feb 29, 2020
Hi

I'm new to proxmox, but like the VE and all of the features.
I have an uncapped fiber-connection, and would like to support the linux-community with some bandwidth for torrenting.

But the speeds I get with torrenting, is waaaaayyyyyy to slow, downloading (and uploading)

I have a HP DL360p G8 with only this torrent-machine on a VM. The server is runnning 2x1TB HDD in RAID0, and I only get about 15-20 MB/sec for download-speeds on my 1/1gbit fiberconnection.

Why is this so slow?

I have installed the VM on the same DL360p G8 ("bare-metal-server") and then I get +100 MB/sec.

How do I fix this issue?

hi,

a couple of things you can do to debug:

* check if the issue is in the VM only. try running your torrent client on the PVE host for a bit and see if the speed is different. that way you know where to look for the issue.

* if the issue is in the VM, check for any bandwidth limits in the settings (these are unlimited by default, but maybe you or someone else changed it at some point)

* if the issue seems to be in the VM, provide some info about it:
-> qm config VMID
-> OS running in the VM and network configuration of both VM and PVE (usually /etc/network/interfaces but it depends on the distro running on the VM)

hope this helps

I have changed the virtual network-card to E1000 (from Realtek) and now I have FULL SPEED!

Thank you for the hint.
I was testing vrom VM to iperf-server with 23Mbit/s download and 511Mbits up.
To the same iperf-server I had +500 UL/DL from the host.

Then tryed to change the network-card and it solved the problem.

great!

please mark the thread as [SOLVED] in case others have similar problems

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!